Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Such a Short Season

Do you ever have days in which you just wished everything you were currently dealing with was over and done with? If you tell me you never have, I’ll ask you if you’re lying. ;)

Seriously though. Maybe you’re a teenage girl and you just don’t understand why your parents won’t let you date yet. “Oh, I can’t wait until I’m older,” you dream. Maybe you’re single and you just can’t wait until you’re married. “Then everything will be perfect,” you assume. Maybe you’re a mother and you can’t wait until your child is walking. “Then things will be easier,” you think. Are you kidding yourself?

During church this week (and by no means for the first time), Hannah Mai and I got to spend our quality time out in the lobby. Yep – during the sermon. This week it was because she had a cold and I did not want to spread it to all the other babies in the nursery. Most other weeks it is simply because she has some serious separation anxiety and I get paged e-v-e-r-y , single week because she won’t stop crying. As I sit in the lobby, nursery or listening room, I struggle with self pity. “All I want to do is listen to an entire sermon”, I tell myself. “Why does she have to be so difficult? Why do I have to deal with this?” Don’t get me wrong, James helps and tries to alternate who sits out with her. But naturally, she is usually more comfortable with mommy.

This past Sunday I think I struggled more than most. Even when I got home, I was angry that I didn’t get to hear any of the message (unless you count the intro!). First off, I know it is ridiculous to be angry that I didn’t get to hear a message at church…contradictory to say the least. Nevertheless, that is how I felt. So I decided to do a quick search on Sovereign Grace’s website and I stumbled across an audio message by Carolyn Mahaney titled In Every Season of Life . It sounded intriguing so I listened to the entire message while straightening up around the house.

Carolyn drove home the point that there is a season for everything. Every season will pass in one form or another. But I’ve heard all that before, why did this particular message touch me? Well, I believe the Holy Spirit wanted to convict me for starters. Then Carolyn used an example – the perfect example for me to hear. She mentioned how she used to get frustrated and irritated when her daughters (she has 3) were babies and she’d have to miss church events. Then, when her youngest daughter was 12, she gave birth to a son. After witnessing how fast her season with her daughters had happened, she grew to cherish every little “inconvenience” and need her son had. God knew this example was so perfect for me at such a perfect time. I was brought to tears as I considered my heart issues. Do I really want my little one to grow up fast so I can hear all the sermons? No way! I need to cherish these moments knowing that this season will one day pass and I don’t want to regret things like this.

I won’t say that I’ll never struggle again with this particular issue or even others that may be similar. However, I do have a bit different perspective now and trust the Lord will continue to grow me in that area.

Praise God for grace and patience!

“There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven.” – Ecc. 3:1


My little Santa - doesn't she look like trouble? :)


In Christ,
Terra Santos

3 comments:

Raising Three 4 Him said...

She's a sweetie...I have been reading your blogs for a while now, all the way back to early storknet. I live in KY also. I have 3 kids, there are 5 years between each of them. I find myself taking the time with my third to enjoy the little things and not want them to end. With my oldest two, looking back I was always pushing them into the next developmental stage and not taking the time to really be blessed by where they are and what they were doing. So many times in my walk with Christ your blogs have helped me get back on track. You are such an inspiration. It's good to know that we're never alone in our struggles. May God bless your family and your ministies!!!

Terra Santos said...

Hey Stacey! Thanks for the sweet comments. If you'll shoot me an email (jamesandterra@gmail.com) I'd love to respond further. Take care!

thehummingmeadow said...

terra, i think y're such an inspiration! i'm glad to know you..my Sister in Christ.

lovelove.
leesa