Tuesday, January 1, 2008

My Rash of Blessings

Yesterday morning, I was glancing at my lovely rash in the mirror. For some reason, I have this obsession with counting the spots on my body. I did it last winter as well. Last count: approximately 70 spots, 7 of which I’d consider large (about the size of a nickel). But something very interesting happened yesterday as I examined my skin condition. The Lord brought to mind several friends and family members who are having much harder times of testing right now. Suddenly, my rash seemed insignificant. So I look like a cheetah – big deal. It doesn’t hurt and it doesn’t itch. It’s not contagious. As a matter of fact, I wouldn’t even know it was there if I didn’t pay so much attention to it. Given, the larger a spot, the more potential of scarring. As I’ve mentioned in a previous post I have a decent sized scar on my leg from last winter’s rash. So what! If I have a few scars on my skin, it’s better than potential scars on my ovaries (see same post just mentioned). And even if I have scars on my ovaries, it’s better than scars on my heart.

Why didn’t I think of these things before? As always, I think God teaches me lessons through daily struggles. Hannah and I are both still sick. Each day I think it’s getting better and then I wake up feeling worse. My poor baby girl can hardly breathe through her nose because of congestion but praise God! Seriously, things could be SO much harder for us right now. So we have colds and it’s uncomfortable. As far as we know, we don’t have any serious issues. My dear neighbor’s family of six has been battling with much more than we have (the list is too long to even mention). A few fellow church members have dealt with pneumonia, surgeries, marital issues, etc.

May I continue to trust that God knows what is best for me (and my family) each and every day. He will strengthen us through the fire and draw us nearer to Him during these times of testing.

I’ve thought of a new way to view my rash. Each time I see a new or larger spot appear, I’m going to count them each as a blessing. I guess that means I’m currently covered in more than 70 blessings: 7 of which are great! Wow. What a different outlook! I praise God for grace.

In Christ,
Terra

No comments: