Friday, January 11, 2008

My Ovarian Cyst

As you know, I went to the doctor yesterday regarding an ovarian cyst that was found at my yearly check-up. Sure enough, the cyst was still there and approximately 4cm (or 1.6 in) in diameter. It is more specifically called a "Hemorrhagic" cyst and fortunately mine is benign (non-cancerous). This is what Wikipedia has to say about the Hemorrhagic cyst:


"[The] Hemorrhagic cyst, which is also called a blood cyst, hematocele, and hematocyst. It occurs when a very small blood vessel in the wall of the cyst breaks, and the blood enters the cyst. Abdominal pain on one side of the body, often the right side, may be present. The bleeding may occur quickly, and rapidly stretch the covering of the ovary, causing pain. As the blood collects within the ovary, clots form which can be seen on a sonogram. Occasionally hemorrhagic cysts can rupture, with blood entering the abdominal cavity.

"If a cyst ruptures, it is usually very painful. Hemorrhagic cysts that rupture are less common. Most hemorrhagic cysts are self-limiting; some need surgical intervention. Even if a hemorrhagic cyst ruptures, in many cases it resolves without surgery. Patients who don't require surgery will experience pain for 4 - 10 days after, and may require several days rest. Studies have found that women on tetracycline antibiotics recover 25% earlier than the majority of patients, a surprising correlation found in 2004. Sometimes surgery is necessary, such as a laparoscopy ("belly-button surgery" that uses small tools inserted through one or more tiny slits in the abdomen)."1


My cyst has begun to rupture with some bleeding. However, as bad as that sounds, that’s actually a good thing. By rupturing, it will likely take care of itself with no surgery necessary.
So there is good news and bad news. The good news: the cyst is benign and has already begun to rupture.

The bad news: this may become a problem for me in the future. My family history suggests that this cyst is only going to be one among many. They may cause scarring and could possibly make it more difficult/impossible for me to have more kids. The doc said they would typically put someone like myself on birth control to lessen the chance of the cysts. However, that clearly means I wouldn’t be having children. James and I have talked about having 5-6 kids so that’s not currently an option for us. My doc said that it is okay for me to forgo the birth control now, unless the cysts become a great problem. If they do, I will not have an option unless I want to be in regular pain. In addition to these things, I was told I may be developing a slight case of Endometriosis.

As you can imagine, I could let all this crush me OR I could let it point me to Christ. God is in complete control of my womb. Should He want me to have more kids naturally, He will. Should He not, He won’t. Pray that I will trust Him with all I have. My body is not my own, it is His. After all, I already have a blessing that many are not able to have at all: a daughter. Praise God for His grace. What a great God we serve!

In Christ,
Terra Santos

Footnote:
1 - This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article "Ovarian Cyst.”

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hello Terra. I totally understand what you are facing. Our bodies are under God's control, in all things. From conception to birth to death. We had our little one and he (and I) have spent the first 10 days of his life in the NICU of another hospital, 2 1/2 hours south from home (I've recorded every thing in my blog). So I truly know about sometimes having no choice but to trust Him and let Him lead. These are the times when we grown the most. You and James are in my prayers.

Jennifer

Bonnie said...

Sweet Terra, Your faith is awe inspiring. Your path will be blessed. You and your family are in my prayers. Much love, Bonnie, your Premier Grandmother

Bonnie said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Your faith is awe-inspiring. Much love, Bonnie

Erica said...

wow, i don't know you but this makes me sad. I'm pretty sure I had a hemorrhagic cyst rupture on monday and i'm a little worried i won't be able to have any more kids either. I wish you the best.