Thursday, January 10, 2008

Four Sheets in the Wind

Picture this:
A young woman in her mid-twenties decided to make a few projects for wedding gifts. She had two stops to make: one, to the super center to by a specific type of ribbon and the other, an office supply store to get four pieces of paper laminated.

After arriving at the super center, she goes up and down every aisle she can think of in search of the ribbon. Thinking maybe she’s just missed it, she retraces her steps in at least three of the aisles – more than once. “They have to have it,” she thinks to herself. Her baby starts to get tired and fussy and she tries to calm her, all the while looking for the needed ribbon.

Eventually, she gives up and decides she’ll have to go elsewhere. But then she remembers she needs to pick up a prescription which was called into the super store last night. She was then instructed by the pharmacy employee that it will take another 10-15 minutes since she was not yet entered in their computer system. “Great,” she thought. “Now what will I do for the next 10-15 minutes?” Since she is stuck in the store for at least a bit longer, she decides to check one more place for the ribbon – the gift wrap section. Then the lights of heaven shown down on her and there it was, in all the colors of the rainbow! “Jackpot!” She picks up her prescription, pays for her ribbon and heads to the nearest office supply store.

By this point in time, the weather had started to become gloomy. Forecasters were calling for severe thunderstorms but not for at least a few more hours. The woman pulled into the parking lot, her baby now peacefully asleep in her car seat. She got the stroller out of the trunk and put everything she needed in the carrier on it’s bottom. Lastly she got the baby seat and attached it to the stroller.

Pushing her way against the very strong winds, she brushed hair out of her face. “I’m almost done” she told herself. “Wow, this wind is blowing so hard today.” As she forces the stroller up to the sidewalk, the four pieces of paper are jostled by the wind and fly out of the stroller at rocket speed. By the time she turned around, they were on the other side of the mall sized parking lot. “You’ve GOT to be kidding me,” she pouted.

Taking a deep breath, she pushed the stroller back to her car, realizing it’s parking break was still on. “So, THAT’S why that silly thing was so hard to push. It was not just the wind!” She unloaded everything she’d just loaded, back into the car and headed home.

The End.

Well, actually, that’s not the end of the story but it is the end of this recollection. As you’ve probably realized by now, the woman was me. This true story took place two days ago. As I was leaving the office supply center I was dumbfounded. By God’s grace, I wasn’t mad – though part of me was telling myself I should be. I was simply dumbfounded. Why in the world was this day so complicated? All I wanted to do was make two God-glorifying wedding gifts. Was Satan trying to keep God’s Word from being proclaimed? I thought of that. But no…I don’t think that’s it. Was God protecting me from an accident that may have happened on my way home if I’d left later? Maybe, but that’s complete speculation. Maybe God was teaching me patience? That seems to be God’s constant lesson for me. Hmmmm....

The next day I decided to try the lamination process all over again. When I was reviewing the printouts, something awkward caught my eye. There was a glaring typo on the page. Not just something like a missed period or capital letter where it shouldn’t be. No, I had typed MY husband’s name instead of the GROOM’s name! Had I laminated the sheets the day before as I tried, I would have paid $1.50 per sheet for a gift with the wrong name on it! Praise God it didn’t happen! Ha!

Though my printer had said it was out of ink just the night before, it printed all of the pages I needed. The process was short and sweet this time and the project is now in the middle of being created.

At the time, I had no idea why I was dealing with such an obnoxious issue over something seemingly so small. Now I know. Hindsight is everything! I hope you got a good laugh out of this if nothing else. ;)

In Christ,
Terra

No comments: