Friday, January 4, 2008

No Music, Increased Prayer Life

A few weeks ago, my husband and I decided it would be a good idea to move our computers to our finished basement. It has been good for me personally as I don’t waste nearly as much time playing around on the internet. Not that the internet is evil, just that it can become a great time-waster if I allow it to. Yet there was one thing I started to miss quickly: my music.

Typically, I have my computer was connected to an online Christian music station called Allworship.com. It’s a wonderful, free, online streaming station. It was convenient to play when my computer was in the kitchen. Our radio is usually kept in the bathroom (come on…tell me you don’t shower sing? hehe). As a result, I’m not listening to nearly as much music during the day. While music can be good for my soul, it can also drown my soul. Let me explain.

I’m not a fan of silence. It can be awkward and make me think too much. However, it can also be a great time for prayer. By not having music constantly drowning out the silence, I have grown tremendously in my prayer life. As I do the dishes, take care of Hannah Mai, and clean the house, I now find myself constantly praying. I pray for myself and my family but even more so those around me. I’m being frequently reminded of prayer requests. It has been such a blessing to pray for those around me throughout the day and truly be able to tell people I’m praying for them. If I tell you I’m praying for you, know that I mean it.

Do you find yourself always wanting a radio or T.V. on, even just for noise? Consider your motive. Maybe you’re telling yourself it’s doing more encouraging than discouraging. If that is true, than bless you. If you find as I did, that you are really just trying to cover the silence, try going without it for a bit. See where it leads you.

In Christ,
Terra

2 comments:

Bigmammy said...

I am trying to remember what silence is :)

Terra Santos said...

hahaha...with 4 kiddos, I'm sure you are. ;)