Monday, June 16, 2008

Monday's Music Review: Sweetly Broken

Song Title: Sweetly Broken
Album Title: Sweetly Broken
Artist(s): Jeremy Riddle

(Hear the song here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=-NkzxwpQlXA):


To the cross I look, to the cross I cling
Of its suffering I do drink
Of its work I do sing

For on it my Savior both bruised and crushed
Showed that God is love
And God is just

Chorus:
At the cross You beckon me
You draw me gently to my knees, and I am
Lost for words, so lost in love,
I’m sweetly broken, wholly surrendered

What a priceless gift, undeserved life
Have I been given
Through Christ crucified

You’ve called me out of death
You’ve called me into life
And I was under Your wrath
Now through the cross I’m reconciled

Chorus

In awe of the cross I must confess
How wondrous Your
redeeming love and
How great is Your faithfulness

Chorus 2x

My thoughts:

This is an amazing song in so many ways. To begin with, the lyrics are incredibly Christ-centered and biblical. Referring to God being both love and just, I direct our thoughts to Romans 3:22-26 (ESV, my italics and underline):

"For there is no distinction: for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins. It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus".
For God to be love, He must also be just. So many people try to argue this in our day. They say if God is love, He should never condemn anyone. Let me give a scenario to clarify this point. If someone stole your wallet and used every credit card you had for their own purposes, would you say, "It's okay. I still love them. It's really not big deal. I'll pay for all of the charges they incurred." Of course not! That is ridiculous. Instead, you would insist on that person being judged for his wrong doing and having to pay the price of his misconduct. After all, that would be just. Why do we think God should be any different? When a person sins against God, there is a penalty to be paid. And yet by God's GREAT grace, He sent His only son, Jesus Christ, to die as the propitiation (subsitution) for our sin. He was raised on the third day and in Him we may have life when we believe. What a beautiful truth!

As the song says, "He called us out of death" and into life. "What a priceless gift!" This song also describes us being drawn to our knees, sweetly broken, wholly surrendered to God. Romans 5:6-11 (ESV, my italics) speaks on this:

"For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are
reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation."
Oh what a beautiful song and a beautiful reminder of God's precious truths!

In Christ,
Terra

No comments: