Monday, May 19, 2008

Monday's Music Review: I Know You're There

Song Title: I Know You're There (#8 on album)
Album Title: The Altar and the Door
Artist(s): Casting Crowns
Written by: Jeff Chandler

(Hear the song here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb0P8co7ofQ):
If all I had was one last breath
I’d spend it just to sing Your praise
Just to say Your name
If all I had was one last prayer
I’d pray it ‘cause I know You’re always listening
If I could live a thousand lives,
bind the hands of time
I would spend every moment by Your side

‘Cause I,
I know You’re there, I know You see me
You’re the air I breathe
You are the ground beneath me
I know You’re there, I know You hear me
I can find You anywhere

If all I had was one more song to sing
I would raise my voice to make the heavens ring
If all I had was one last chance, I’d take it
I would stake it all on You

If I could raise up high and catch a
glimpse of every eye
I would make them believe
What I feel inside

If I could live a thousand lives and bind the hands of time
If I could rise up high and catch a glimpse of every eye

I know You’re there
I know You’re there
I know You’re there, You’re there
My thoughts:
I love this song! Not only is it sung beautifully, the words are such a sweet reminder of how close the Lord truly is to us. Deuteronomy 31:6 (ESV) says, "Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you." Then in 2 Samuel 22:7, "In my distress I called upon the Lord; to my God I called. From his temple he heard my voice, and my cry came to his ears." What a great God!

I do want to make one quick comment regarding God being the "air I breathe" and the "ground beneath me." This is not meant to be taken in a pantheistic way. The Bible does not teach everything around us is a part of God, as some would say. However, the artists are pointing to the fact that God is so incredibly near to us, it's "as if" he's the air and the ground. As a matter of fact, the Bible does teach that Christians have the Holy Spirit dwelling within them. So God is truly as near as He could possibly be.

I love how this song declares, "if all I had was one more song to sing" and also "If all I had was one last chance, I’d take it I would stake it all on You." How we should echo the same sentiment! If all we had was one more moment, we should spend it praising God!

Praise the Lord, this song has encouraged me already this day!

In Christ,
Terra

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Terra, I appreciate a reminder of God's closeness. Thanks for writing this (and way to use the theology terms and make the most of that master's degree;)).

How are you doing?

Laura Rector