Sunday, March 9, 2008

As White As Snow

Over the last couple of days, in the midst of our 10 inches of snow, I've asked myself the question, "What is the purpose of snow?" That probably sounds like a silly question to most of you, but I'm serious in asking it. When I ask myself, "What is the purpose of rain?" I know at least one good answer is to nourish the vegetation and animals of the earth. But snow seems so pointless. Yeah, it's beautiful - but also a nuisance. So I posed the question to my husband. With no hesitation, he said that every time he sees snow, he thinks of the words of Isaiah:

"...though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool." - (Isaiah 1:18, ESV)

Wow. If every time I saw snow I was reminded of this great truth, how differently I would view it!

Today I had to go to the grocery to pick up a few items. As I was driving home, I noticed how much I had to squint to see the roads. It is a beautiful day today, with an amazing amount of sunshine. There was so much sunshine reflecting off of so much snow that it made it harder to see. Yet even in that moment, as a result of the snow, I thought of another blessing / calling in my life. If I am washed as white as snow (as in the Isaiah verse), I should be brilliantly reflecting the light of Christ! Jesus Christ died and was raised on the third day so that I could have the opportunity to be white as snow, reflecting His glory! Wow!

After thinking snow had no good purpose, today I reflect a bit differently.

In Christ,
Terra

No comments: