Friday, November 9, 2007

My Little Sinner

Over the course of about a week or so, my daughter Hannah has made some great progress in “baby world.” She finally learned how to roll from her back to her belly because she was tempted with a bottle. She is also sitting up on her own. Those are two huge accomplishments for a baby. In addition to those two, she’s become aware of my desire to get her out of scary or harmful situations. Last night she managed to roll onto her side and get her leg caught in the crib slats. This morning she rolled onto her belly and got her arm caught. Needless to say, the ear piercing screams from the nursery alerted yours truly that Hannah was in trouble. I went and “saved” her from these situations. (note: this crib problem has since been remedied)

With all of these exciting accomplishments, she’s learned another new trick – how to throw a tantrum. When most people think of tantrums, they probably picture 2 or 3 year olds kicking and screaming when they don’t get something they want. Well, Hannah is only 5 ½ months old, and she fulfilled half of that today. She was trying to play with a plastic bag. Because of obvious suffocation hazards, I would let her play with it until it went anywhere near her mouth. (note: before you flip out, know that I was sitting right beside her, supervising the whole shindig) As a 5 ½ month old child will inevitably do, she continually tried to put the bag in her mouth. After about three attempts, I took the bag away from her. What immediately followed from my supposed sweet little daughter was a shrill that could probably be heard down the street! She was furious with me and she was going to let me know it. I sat her in my lap and more or less had the following conversation with her:

“Hannah, I understand you want to play with the plastic bag. However, I cannot let you have the plastic bag because you could harm yourself. I know you don’t understand that but I love you and I want to protect you from harm.”

Why would I have such a conversation with a 5 ½ month old child? I’m not crazy, I know she doesn’t understand what I’m saying yet. But you have to start somewhere, right? It’s not like you wake up one day and say, “Okay, today my child will understand anything I say about everything.” No. I believe it is good for me to start now.

Often in my previous blogs, when Hannah has done something out of the ordinary, I blame it on an alien abduction. For example, when she was switched from breast milk to formula and she went from crying all the time to being happy. :) No, I don’t believe in aliens. It is just a way I have of joking about the situations. But there is a real reason for Hannah’s tantrum today. It’s called sin. Romans 3:22-23 says, “…for there is no distinction: for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God…” Furthermore, 1 John 1:8 says, “If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.” In today’s society, many people do not like to talk about sin. Yet as a person who attempts to submit to the Bible and not to society, I acknowledge this as truth. My precious, sweet, cute, little baby girl is a s-i-n-n-e-r, sinner. It is my God-given responsibility as a parent to lead her to her only Savior, Jesus Christ. Wow. What a task! By the grace of God alone will I succeed in that endeavor.

What an insightful moment Hannah created for me today to reflect on the human nature to sin and on God’s saving grace to forgive! I pray over the next 18+ years that I will (Lord-willingly) have, of direct influence in Hannah’s life. There will be many more moments for the two of us to grow in sanctification.

In Christ,
Terra Santos

No comments: