Wednesday, November 21, 2007

A Mother’s Pride

If you are a mother, this blog will likely touch base with you in one way or another. Many moms have developed a really bad habit – of which I’m one of the worst. It begins even before the birth of their child. From the moment we learn we are pregnant, we start comparing our babies to others.

It begins simple.
“I’m feeling my baby kick at only fifteen weeks pregnant.”
“I haven’t had any morning sickness.”
“My labor was only 5 hours long.” *Note: I definitely did not fall into this category with my 18hr labor.

At birth we compare even more.
“My baby weighed 5lbs, 9oz and was 18inches long, how about yours?”
“I breastfeed my baby, you?”
“I think my baby is cuter than hers.”
“My baby started sleeping through the night after only two weeks.”

For those of you that fall into that last category, get on your knees and praise God! My six month old still wakes once or twice a night for a feeding. As a matter of fact, comparing her to my sister’s five month old in this area is what sparked the writing of this blog.

So what is it that causes us to compare like this? Why are we so concerned about what other’s babies are doing? So my daughter isn’t rolling over regularly yet and she should be, why does that bother me?

During these comparisons, I’m sure there are many different issues going on inside the heart. However, I think one of the biggest is pride. I compare my daughter to other babies because I want her to be at the same place or better yet, further. than they are. Hannah Mai started sitting unassisted at five and a half months. I was really excited because most babies don’t sit unassisted until six and a half or seven months. “Wow,” I think. “Hannah Mai is pretty smart.” Then I remember that she’s still barely rolling from back to front and hates being on her stomach. At this rate, she’ll start crawling later than other babies. I could blame it on her torticollis (which the Physical Therapist told me was likely the cause), but there’s something deeper. Why am I coming up with excuses? It’s because I want Hannah to look good compared to other babies. I truly desire other moms to be envious of me and my daughter. How sinful and evil my heart is!

Proverbs 13:18 says “Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.” When I examine my heart during these times, I need to be convicted by the Holy Spirit. Pride will only lead me to destruction. I cannot grow in my Christian walk if I’m choosing pride over humility. I cannot show the light of Christ if I’m wanting to show the light of “Terra” first. The next time you ask a mother about her child’s milestones or share your own too quickly, examine your motives. Christ calls us to change and repentance. Only by His grace can this be accomplished.

Grace to you,
Terra

No comments: