Thursday, October 16, 2008

Week 11: The Happiness of a Heartbeat

Yesterday was my first official prenatal checkup. By God's grace, it fell on a day that was easy for James to be off work and spend most of the day with Hannah and I. It started with the usual: questions, weight check (I've gained 4 lbs), blood pressure check (110/60), and so forth. Then I was able to get James and go to the exam room. After about 10 minutes of waiting, the doctor came in. We'll call her Dr.J. She celebrated with us knowing that the last time I'd seen her, we were hoping for pregnancy. I literally conceived just days after my last visit with her!

So after chatting for a bit, we did some of the not so fun stuff. Then it was time to check for the baby's heartbeat. I told her I had tried not to get my hopes up because we didn't hear it the first time with Hannah. She assured me that if we didn't hear it on the doppler, she'd pull the ultrasound in to check. Wow. That was kind of nice. She knew of my concerns after our miscarriage and took that into account. Good job Dr.J.! Anyway, back to the doppler. It took her only a few seconds to locate the heartbeat. After hearing it, I laughed with excitement. Of course, if you know anything about a doppler, laughing only causes you to lose the heartbeat again as the doppler is moved. She repositioned it and said, "It's a good, strong heartbeat." I laid there taking it in. Good. Strong. All of a sudden, a tear dropped down my cheek and I found myself fighting back more. I had no idea I would respond such a way. It's not like I wasn't sure I was pregnant, the symptoms keep my assured of that. But hearing a "good, strong heartbeat" was such an encouragement and blessing. I thanked the Lord.

On the entertaining side, when Hannah heard the heartbeat (she was there), she started dancing to it's rhythm. Funny stuff. Won't that be a good story to tell her and her younger sibling as they age? James was also blessed. It was just a pure, sweet moment for our family. In 8 weeks, the week of my birthday (Dec. 8), we get to find out the sex of the baby! Of course, that's assuming it's positioned well enough. I'm very excited about that! James is convinced it's a boy. I'm not convinced either way. After all, I was SO SURE Hannah was a boy and she's clearly not! ;) I'm really not preferring either sex more than the other.

My nausea has been changing up a bit. I'm finding my mornings (until around lunch) less nauseous as long as I've eaten breakfast. However, there is typically a time in the early afternoon I don't feel well and by 6 or 7 at night, I'm really struggling again. I'm still going to bed shortly after 8pm if at all possible to fight the urge to vomit. The benefit of that is that I'm getting plenty of rest!

In the midst of all this, Hannah's sleep schedule is changing dramatically so that has been challenging. She's going from two naps to one. In addition, I'm trying to start putting her down a bit later and making her stay in bed in the morning a bit later in preparation for daylight savings time in a few weeks. She's sleeping about 30 minutes later in the morning so far which is a huge step! Pray us through this change please!

James started his new position at Meijer this week. While it's going well, there's always the pull to ministry. We both know he will be back in a full-time church position eventually, we just don't know the timing yet. We love the church we're at now and feel like we're growing so much. We're just waiting on God's leading.

I guess that's enough for now!

Take care,
Terra

2 comments:

Bigmammy said...

I am so happy for you. I remember the excitement of those heartbeats, and I always teared up too!

Seriously Kennisha said...

I just wanted to say congratulations to you for making it through the hardest part of the pregnancy. I can only imagine how your heart rejoiced when you heard that great sound! Take care and let me know when you get your little belly! :) By the way I talked to Bethany this week about trying to get something together soon. I'll talk to you later on that. P.S. Straight lemon juice and tart lemonade helped with my severe nausea, maybe it will nip yours in the bud!