Saturday, October 11, 2008

Week 10: Pregnancy Comparisons

Now that I'm getting ready to leave my 10th week of pregnancy (1/4 of the way through!), I've contemplated some of the differences from my other ones. For clarification for those unaware, I've had one full pregnancy (38weeks with Hannah Mai), one cut short by miscarriage (at around 5-6weeks) and now the current at nearly 11 weeks. Obviously, with my second being so short, I don't have much to compare to that one, other than regular fatigue.

So what exactly has been different this go around? Many things already! First, I found out only a day after a missed cycle. With Hannah, it was 3 days later. With the second pregnancy, it was 2. I guess I've just got my cycles down to a science. ;)

Next, the nausea! Wow! With Hannah, I didn't even start getting sick until I was 12 weeks pregnant. Given, I felt sick here and there but nothing regular. Then once I got sick, it was very predictable. Every night around 7 or 8pm, I'd start feeling queasy. Then every other night, I'd vomit. The whole ordeal lasted for about 3 months. With this pregnancy, from the very beginning of week 6, I've been nauseous almost constantly, all day, every day. I've been physically sick only twice but I feel like I could be any given time. Yuck. I'm not sure which is worse. Guess I can't really make a claim on either till I'm further along in this one.

Then the fatigue comparison. I have to say, if my memory serves me well enough, the fatigue has been about the same in each pregnancy. However, one HUGE difference is that I have a toddler to chase around now. I can't just take a nap whenever I feel good and ready like I could the first time. But then again, with the first pregnancy, I was working full time (waitressing) and taking 12 hours of Master's level classes at Southern Seminary. Hmmmm..... I'm not sure which is harder. ;)

Food... I feel like I'm eating ten times as much this time. Partially because I'm hungry, partially just to curb the nausea. I read somewhere that a women pregnant with a boy will eat 200-300 calories more a day than one pregnant with a girl. Could this be a sign??? ;) I'm sure my hubby would like for it to be. Then again, someone pregnant with twins would eat more too. Ha... I think I'd die if I were pregnant with twins. I'd have 3 kids under 2 years old!

Weight gain. Though it's still early to tell for sure, I've gained much less weight so far with this one than Hannah. I was actually scolded by my OB with Hannah for gaining 13lbs in my first trimester. As of now, I've only gained 2lbs. Of course, I still have 3 more weeks to go before I'm out of my 1st. But if I gain 11 more pounds in the next 3 weeks... I've got a problem! It's weird because I gained the recommended 35lbs total with Hannah... it was just not in the "right" time frame.

Anyway... I think that's enough for today. Maybe we'll do more comparisons as the time goes by. Until then...

Take care,
Terra

P.S. We still haven't agreed on another girl's name (just in case)...

No comments: