Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Time to Brag for a Moment

Today I want to brag. Yet it’s not about myself and believe it or not, it’s not about my baby Hannah either. Today, I want to brag about my husband.

It seems to be common-place these days for wives to talk bad about or down on their husbands when they are not around. Things like: “He doesn’t do such and such,” “He never helps me,” “He always puts himself first,” etc. Though James is not perfect, he does not even give me the opportunity to say things like this about him. James is on a mission in our marriage. He seeks to serve me in his greatest capacity. He truly believes that God has called him to serve our family in as many ways as possible.

For beginners, he works hard to bring us financial stability. God has blessed me with a husband who appreciates my desire to stay at home with my child (and any future children). I feel the leading of Titus 2:4-5 “to love [my] husband and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to [my] husband, that the word of God may not be reviled,” (ESV, my italics).

But he goes much further than that. He brings me flowers. He washes dishes after a meal. He takes the baby out of the house when I just need to breathe. He gives me massages. He encourages me to seek out the Lord in prayer and meditation of the Bible. He writes me encouraging notes. And I could really go on and on. Why does he do these things? Well, in addition to feeling led by the Lord, he says that he loves serving me because he can see that it blesses me. My joy of being served makes him want to serve me more. And what is really neat about this…his constant desire to serve me, makes me seek to do the same for him. Now I’m always on the look out for something I can do to serve him. It really makes for a sweeter marriage when you are not looking for what you can get out of the relationship but instead what you can give. Being a servant can be contagious…I never knew that!

Anyway….I just had to take a moment to praise my husband, aka God’s greatest gift to me (outside of my salvation in Christ).

Loving Him,
Terra Santos

No comments: