Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Desiring to Be a Gospel Centered Family

For the past weeks or so, I've been challenged and motivated to see our family gospel centered. What do I mean by gospel centered? The Bible says, "Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another as God in Christ forgave you. Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God" (Ephesians 4:32-5:2).

As Christians we have been shown kindness, tenderness, and forgiveness when Christ died for us on the cross. Our sins deserved God's righteous judgment, but instead we received infinite grace. Therefore, any sinner who has been shown much kindness, tenderness, and forgiveness through Christ should overflow in kindness, tenderness, forgiveness to others. This is result of the transforming work of the gospel. So, if a bitter word comes out from my wife, the gospel calls me to show kindness, tenderness, and forgiveness. As a husband and a father, I am compelled by the power of the gospel to display Christ, not parade my self righteousness. To return evil for evil is failure to grasp the heart changing work of the gospel.

Three weeks ago, Terra and I celebrated our one year anniversary, and it is my prayer and pursuit to grow in kindness, tenderness, and forgiveness. O may our marriage and family be gospel centered!!!

-James

No comments: