Friday, October 2, 2009

Update on Health Concerns

As many of you know, I've been suffering from several various ailments and health issues. While many of these things have worsened recently, many of them I've struggled with for years, just to a lesser extent. Last summer I had multiple tests to determine the cause of my ailments. The doctor was unable to come to a diagnosis. This morning I had another doctor's appointment (with a new doc). She was amazing and listened very well. She has ordered many more (and specific) tests than were done last summer. The good news is that my dizziness is likely caused only by fluid buildup in my ears. I'm being put on Zyrtec-D to deal with that. Based on my issues, she has reason to believe I'm struggling with either Lupus and/or Fibromyalgia. I should have some basic results within 10 days. Depending on the results, I may or may not have to have more testing to confirm the diagnosis. You may notice that I've linked resource webpages to both of the issues above. If you're interested in reading more about them, feel free to click on those links.

That being said, I'm not dying. :) Well, in a sense, we're all dying but you know what I mean. While both issues can potentially have a severity in manifestation, they do not imply that there will be. 85-90% of people living with Lupus, as long as they follow doctor's orders and treatment, can expect to live a normal lifespan. This is much different than in years past.

How am I taking all of this in? Well, honestly, I've been preparing myself for this potential diagnosis all week. Some moments have been stronger than others. Some days I've felt physically horrible, other days I've felt almost normal. The Lord is my Rock. Isaiah 41:10 says, "fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." I've been singing these verses for the last few days and they have truly been a comfort. I must admit, I am afraid of how this will effect my life. There is no cure for either of these issues. Treatment is simply done to control and deal with the symptoms. That frightens me. And yet I fully trust the Lord is good. If this is to be my thorn, so be it. Praise be to God for His ways and thoughts are higher than my own. Whatever brings Him greater glory is what I pray for in this life. And if that's Lupus or Fibromyalgia...so be it. Pray that I continue to hold that mindset during the harder times.

I want to say thank you to all of my friends and family. You all have been so thoughtful, supportive, and prayerful. Please continue to be a friend in those ways. I cannot tell you what it means to me to know how many people are praying for and loving on my family and I.

If you have any further thoughts/questions/comments, feel free to let me know. In the meantime, I'll be sure to update with test results as soon as I am made aware myself.

Thank you!
Take Care,

Terra

1 comment:

jackie said...

hey terra
i hate to read this. i almost forgot about you know feeling so well since you had benjamin. have you thought about treatment through alternative meds.? Like ear candeling for your dizziness or hot yoga with the body aches. I have met alot of people over the past 6 years as a massage therapist that have fibro. and I know how they struggle but also live great manageable lives. I am going to lift you up in prayers and if there is anything other thing I can do let me know...meals take the kids for the day anything just call. 689-2107 xoxox