Monday, April 21, 2008

Monday's Music Review - East to West

Song Title: East to West (#4 on album)
Album Title: The Altar and the Door
Artist(s): Casting Crowns

(Hear the song here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6zdihmwy1M):

I wrote about this song a long time ago (on our family blog) so I'll just copy that post here. This is truly an amazing song on forgiveness. I pray it blesses you as it has me.

--------

I sit awake tonight, wondering why I can’t sleep. It’s past 11 and I have a 7 week old baby – I should be tired, right? Why am I not? As I listened to a new song by Casting Crowns, I think I know why. Here are the lyrics:

East to West
By Casting Crowns

Here I am Lord and I’m drowning,
in Your sea of forgetfulness
The chains of yesterday surround me,
I yearn for peace and rest
I don’t want to end up where You found me
And it echoes in my mind
Keeps me awake tonight
I know you’ve cast my sin as far as
the East is from the West
And I stand before You now as though I’ve never sinned
But today I feel like I’m just one mistake away
From You leaving me this way

Chorus:
Jesus can you show me just how far
the east is from the west
‘Cause I can’t bear to see the man I’ve been
Rising up in me again
In the arms of Your mercy I find rest
‘Cause You know just how
far the east is from the west
From one scarred hand to the other

I start the day, the war begins
Endless reminding of my sin
And time and time again
Your truth is drowned out by the storm I’m in
Today I feel like I’m just one mistake away
from You leaving me this way

I know You’ve washed me white
Turn my darkness into life
I need Your peace to get me through
To get me through this night
I can’t live by what I feel
About the truth Your word reveals
I’m not holding on to You
But
You’re holding on to me
You’re holding on to me

Tonight some of the sins of my past crept into my mind. I’m not sure what brought the memories to me. Well, actually – I am sure – it was Satan. He always tries to remind us of how unworthy we are by resurfacing the sins of our pasts. Tonight, I let him get to me. My problem is that I’m trying to fight the memories on my own. It won’t work that way. Apart from Christ, I’m exactly the person Satan makes me out to be. However, I “have been crucified with Christ. It is not longer I who lives but Christ who lives in me.” “By grace [I] have been saved by faith, not a result of works so that [I] may not boast.” Jesus Christ has washed me white as snow. This song is so perfect for this night. Each word rings truer then I could have penned. I want to know how far the east is from the west because that’s how much Christ loves me. As the song says, the length is “one scarred hand to another.” Jesus Christ died for each and every one of the sins of my past, present and future. I must rest in Him and Him alone this evening. Praise God for His mercy and grace!

I pray this post encourages others who may be struggling in the same way.

Take care,
Terra

1 comment:

Ines said...

Terra,
I have been there and done that about revisiting my past sin! I was encouraged years ago to recognize that the condemnation does come from the enemy and that when he rears his ugly head and reminds me of my sin, I can tell him to go and talk to Jesus about it because I have already done so and Jesus said He forgave me. So, enemy, if you have a problem with my past sin, you'll have to talk to my Father about it!!! :o) It so helped me and it freed me from that ugly condemnation! Grace so amazing so devine! Flows like a river from His hands to mine! :o) Love You,
Mrs. Lindner XO