Friday, April 18, 2008

Earthquake!

Since Wednesday, Hannah and I have been in Western Kentucky spending time with my family. We're staying with my sister and my bro-in-law. Well, last night (or more precisely, early this morning), I woke up feeling the entire trailer shaking. Completely freaked out, I looked out the window to see if it was really windy or something. My first fear was that of a tornado. However, the winds were calm and nothing was really going on outside. Considering I'm not familiar with the part of town I'm in, I went back to sleep assuming I was near a train or something.

This morning, I first asked my sister if she had felt the house shake. No. Later, when her husband got up, I asked him the same. He joked and told me I must either be crazy or imagining things. Only later did I find out through my husband that I experienced an earthquake! Some how, out of 3 adults and 3 children, I was the only one to wake up (much less get scared to death)!

Nothing fell, no one was hurt, just me - a bit scared. ;) Apparently it was a 5.2 magnitude earthquake about 173 miles North of where I'm staying. They say the earthquake was felt over 400 miles away! Wow. I know that something like this is probably no big deal for the Californian, but here in Kentucky - it was a little on the crazy side.


View Larger Map

For the full news story, click here.
Until next time,
Terra

1 comment:

Williams' bunch said...

I felt it, too here in Louisville. None of my kids woke up and my husband was at work (and didn't feel it) but it sure did scare me TO DEATH! If I never feel that again it will be fine w/me! :-)