Friday, August 15, 2008

She's NOT Adopted!

**Note: a few people have taken this in a negative tone thanks to the lack of tone in a blog. For the record, this was meant to make a specific point but in a humerous way, not a mean one. That being said, take the following lightly!** ;)

"How long have you had her?" ....ummmm... since conception.

"When did you get her?" .... nearly 9 months later.

"Is she yours or is she adopted?" ....either way, she'd still be mine but no - she's NOT adopted.

These are all questions I've heard verbatim when I'm out and about with Hannah Mai. Personally, they drive me nuts! Given, Hannah's Asian characteristics (from Daddy) are dominant, I can't argue that much. It's the way people comment that kills me.

That being said, I've been trying to think of a polite way for someone to ask the question. Maybe...

"Does she look more like her Daddy or Mommy?" - sneaky, but would be nicer.

"She's beautiful! Has she always been so pretty?" - then I could respond - "yep, pretty much since I had her."

"She's so sweet! Was labor as sweet?" Ha! Don't expect anyone to actually say that but at least they are assuming I DID have her and if she was adopted, THEN I could clarify.

I know it's more likely that a white woman with dark blond hair and blue eyes adopted this beautiful child but it's just not the case. Nope. I carried her for nine months, went through 18 hours of labor and dealt with months of food allergy-related colic. Give me the benefit of a doubt - please! After all, there is a great movement in this country of interracial marriages producing bi-racial children, I'm not the first.

Just a few thoughts... Next time you see a child that looks adopted - please don't assume they are. If in doubt, don't even ask. That's my two cents. ;)

Until next time,
Terra

P.S. I'm totally FOR adoption... James and I would love to do that some day. Just making a point.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Hehe... thing is, she LOOKS like you! But the average person in the store wouldn't take the time to notice that. I think it's risky (and can border on impolite) to say anything but, "What a sweet girl! Isn't she cute?"

The Santos Family said...

Thanks for your thoughts Laura! ;)

Tina said...

Maybe I'm biased since she is my great neice and all but it's totally rude to assume anyone is adopted. A beautiful child is just that! Regardless of how they come to be with their parents.