Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I Almost Died Today - No Joke

You read the title right. This afternoon I had one of the scariest moments of my life! I was driving home from my yearly OB appointment. En route, I noticed dark clouds looming ahead. The weather forecast had called for thunderstorms and here they were. As I exited I-264 and merged onto I-71, the rain began. Hard, hard rain. In almost an instant, every window in my car was fogged up so badly I literally could not see out of ANY of them. There was a ton of traffic and I was completely blinded by my own windows! I frantically turned up my defroster to no avail. Out of desperation, I rolled down my window and hung my head out of it to see where I was going. Keep in mind that it was raining incredibly hard. My heart was racing as it probably never has. Semi's were honking at me as I'm sure I was swerving - I couldn't see where I was going!!! I tried to find the right shoulder (that's the lane I was in) to pull over but was having a hard time finding it and driving with no vision. I noticed a bridge ahead and prepared to stop under it. However, at the last minute, I noticed tiny flashers already under it. A motorcyclist had pulled over already. I was able to wait another one hundred feet or so and find the shoulder after him. As I put the car in park, I nearly lost it (emotionally) as I could not believe I was still alive! Even as I waited on the shoulder for my windows to defog, I prayed and prayed for safety. The shoulder at that part of I-71 is not large and cars/trucks/semis where passing me very quickly only inches to my left - in the pouring rain. Oh did I ever pray with boldness today!

Obviously, I survived the ordeal or I would not be writing about it. Here's something I learned about science today. Your windows fog because of differences in the temperature of the inside of your car and the temperature on the outside. In my case today, I had a nice air conditioned car and then I was smacked with humid, warm rain. At first, I thought I needed to turn the defogger on cold to be the opposite of the outside temp. Little did I know - that was the problem in the first place! Only later did I figure out I needed warm air to defog my windows. Learn from my near-death experience...match the temperature of your car to that of the outside and you'll likely not have to tell this same tale.

By God's grace I'm alive and posting,
Terra

No comments: