Monday, July 7, 2008

Monday's Music Review: In the Valley

Song Title: In the Valley
Words and music by Bob Kauflin
As recorded on Valley of Vision

Here the sample here (I couldn't locate the entire song online): http://www.sovereigngraceministries.org/Media/SongSamples/PlaySongSample.aspx?fn=M4175-01-51-Sample.mp3&ShowBuyIcon=true

Lyrics:

When You lead me to the valley of vision
I can see You in the heights
And though my humbling wouldn’t be my decision
It’s here Your glory shines so bright
So let me learn that the cross precedes the crown
To be low is to be high
That the valley’s where You make me more like Christ

Let me find Your grace in the valley
Let me find Your life in my death
Let me find Your joy in my sorrow
Your wealth in my need
That You’re near with every breath
In the valley

In the daytime there are stars in the heavens
But they only shine at night
And the deeper that I go into darkness
The more I see their radiant light
So let me learn that my losses are my gain
To be broken is to heal
That the valley’s where Your power is revealed

© 2006 Sovereign Grace Praise (BMI).
My thoughts:

I LOVE this song. As many of you know, the day after Easter, we lost our second child to miscarriage. During that incredibly difficult time, few things were comforting to me. God was great in pointing us to Himself and this song was one of the ways He did so.

When do we trust in the Lord most? In suffering. When do we stop relying on ourselves and on God? In suffering. When do we grow more like Christ? In suffering. Yet when do we long for suffering? Never. As the song says, our humbling wouldn't be our decision. I love the analogy of the stars. We don't see them during the day because it's so bright - but they are still there. Yet when it is darkest (as our times of suffering), the stars shine so bright (as Christ). What a glorious analogy.

Even though the singer is commenting on the truth she already knows, she still prays for grace, life and joy that only the Lord can give. Suffering is never easy but the Lord has a great plan for it all. Remember, God works all things together for good for those who love Him. If you're going through a difficult time right now, may this song be an encouragement. Let me know if I can pray for you.

In Christ,
Terra

No comments: