Thursday, October 4, 2007

An Encouragement to Wives (especially those who are mothers)

Have you ever woken up to the sound of a crying baby? You get out of bed for the 2nd or 3rd time in the last 8 hours. You feed your infant and if you are lucky, you go back to bed. When the baby decides it’s time to wake up for the day, you crawl to your feet and get out of bed. Maybe the sound of an infant is in the past and you are dealing with toddlers or teens.

Or maybe you don’t have children. Maybe your husband works during the day and you at night. Or maybe you are blessed enough to not have to work a job outside of the home in the first place.

With all of these things going on around you, are you ever tempted to delay your shower? Maybe you shower but you don’t have any errands to run today (lucky you!), so you don’t bother with getting dressed or putting on makeup. Maybe you’ve given up on looking nice at all. I mean, why bother if there’s no one you are trying to impress, right?

I disagree. Let me begin with a disclaimer to what I am getting ready to say. I truly believe the beauty of a woman comes from within. 1 Peter 3:3-4 says, “Do not let your adorning be external – the braiding of hair, the wearing of gold, or the putting on of clothing – but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious.” Some of you may read this and say that it means we are not supposed to braid our hair or wear jewelry. However, if that is true, it would also be saying that we were not supposed to wear clothes! Personally, I don’t believe that is what is being said at all. I was listening to a message by Carolyn Mahaney the other day and she made this point regarding this passage. The Bible says God has created us in His image. By nature, God creates things beautiful. It is not wrong for us to try to make ourselves beautiful (and in doing so, we’re reflecting the image of God) – as long as our beauty does not become an idol in our lives.

Now that being said, I’ll get back to the point of this blog. Do you think it blesses your husband to come home to a wife that has spent little or no time getting ready for him? Think about it. When you first dated, into engagement and maybe even when you first got married, I would be willing to bet you spent significantly more time trying to look nice for him. Now you may take less time to look (or even smell!) nice for him. There are days that I am tempted to do this, trust me.

Maybe you say, “I've never worn makeup anyway” or “I have always dressed down around him.” If that is so, I am not telling you to start wearing makeup or dressing for a night on the town. Every woman has their own beauty regimen. Some are much more elaborate than others. Maybe yours is just showering and brushing your hair. That is great – I wish I were you! The point is you still have a regimen.

Regardless of how we spend our day, whether it is with a handful of children or cleaning the house, I believe it is a service to our husbands to care for ourselves. So that is my encouragement. If you have slacked in caring for yourself, freshen up a bit today and enjoy the smile on your husband’s face when he comes home.

Grace to you,
Terra

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with what you are saying-we should try and look our best for our husbands....I wish I could say I always do. I do take a shower every day and fix my hair...I just don't always get around to the makeup part. :-)
Jennifer