Saturday, February 8, 2014

What I'm Learning about Headaches and Vertigo: Part 3

(If you've missed my other posts on this topic, please start HERE).

After the excitement of weeks with no headaches or vertigo, I then started reintroducing the foods that had been restricted during that time. The first one I chose to add back was for convenience: onions. Onions are in SO many things that I found it one of the most challenging to omit. However, I quickly learned that I do not respond negatively to them, which was very exciting! The first food I did react to negatively was very obvious and sad: avocados. For three days, I ate avocados round the clock. I love them so it was pretty easy to accomplish. What accompanied my trial was three days of headaches, vertigo and a light-headedness. Wow. That was crazy.

I'm still in the process of reintroducing foods to my diet. Unfortunately, I've learned some of my favorites foods/treats in the world are now off limits. Unless I want to deal with a headache/vertigo, I've learned so far that coffee (any kind), wine, avocados, and quite likely bananas, raspberries and blackberries are off limits. While it's extremely sad and I REALLY love my coffee and these other foods, I really DON'T love headaches, neck pain and feeling like I'm spinning around in circles all day. I've been able to add back many other delicious foods like chocolate, cheeses, nuts and nitrate-free bacon. All, in all, it's been so worth it already.

Headaches, vertigo, constant pain and other chronic physical conditions can be truly life altering. Finding relief from something as “simple” as dietary changes has been such an awakening and joyous journey! After realizing just how much the foods I eat have affected my health in this one particular area, it caused me to ask the question, “what else are the foods I'm eating doing to my body?” It has sent me headlong into a process of learning more about health and wellness, particularly in the area of diet. I'm so excited about what I'm learning and the dietary changes we've begun to instill have already been encouraging. But that journey is a newer one so I'll come back and write about that one when I have more under my belt.

To all those that have hung in and read this far, thank you. Thank you for loving me well and praying for me over the years of my difficulties. Thank you for not thinking I was going crazy or that it was all in my head (which I guess it was literally, haha). Thank you for serving me with your time, childcare and talents. I love you all! Most importantly, I'm thankful the good Lord saw fit to give me an answer to my years of struggle. He didn't have to. He could've let me continue to learn and grow in my trust in Him through my weakness. And maybe that's why He allowed it for nearly five years in the first place. I may never know. Now that I'm pregnant again, I've hit a hormonal place where the vertigo/nausea has reappeared in a way I can't fully control. However, I'm hoping that with the new knowledge I have, I can keep it as minimal as possible by reducing my other non-hormonal triggers.

If you know anyone that struggles in the area of headaches, neck pain, sinus problems, vertigo or other “shoulder-up” pains, please pass along this series of posts. It could truly lead them down a path to life change. Looking back to my friend who first asked if there was any connection between my vertigo and migraines, she was a prophet of sorts, and didn't even realize it at the time.

*Disclaimer: I get zero benefit for the advertisement of this book. I simply write about it because the information within has truly changed my life and I want to pass that along to others.  If you want to hear what others have to say, simply read the reviews on Amazon and I think you'll see I'm not the only one who's been changed.

Take care,
Terra

2 comments:

Carolyn McMullen said...

Thanks for sharing Terra. My sister started suffering with sinus congestion and vertigo issues a few years back and the vertigo is sometimes crippling. Hopefully this will help her. I had to chuckle at your description of flipping through the book. That is so typical of how our loving God works!

Christine said...

I'm so glad I came across your blog. I suffer from chronic (24/7) dizziness and occasional vertigo, along with sinus pain/congestion, ear pain/pressure, etc. I always like to connect with other Christians who share this experience. I read Heal your Headache and have been on the diet for 5 weeks now. Unfortunately, it is not helping me. As a matter of fact, at one point my dizziness got worse. I am wondering if you went through a transition period, or you just got better? I was hoping this diet was the Lord's answer for me too but I don't think it is. Oh well, He has other plans. I'm so glad it helped you though!! God bless!