Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Week 10: First Midwife Visit

Week 10 was a bit more eventful than 9, so there's more to write about. :) Unfortunately, my nausea/vomitting seems to have worsened. I'm hoping it's just peaking with my hormones and will calm down soon. As I write this, I'm officially on day one of week 11 so we'll see.

One exciting thing: we officially settled on baby names... for the most part. If the baby is a girl, she'll be Sophia Joy. Sophia is Greek for wisdom and the meaning of Joy is obvious. If the baby is a boy, his name will be Daniel. We haven't agreed on a middle name yet, though we're thinking maybe Thomas. So that's the big deal for the week.

Yesterday, I had my first official pregnancy visit and at a new office. Both the office and the staff were highly recommended to me by multiple friends. It's the first time I've had a midwife as opposed to an OB so it'll be a little new for me. Over all, the visit went very well. I've only gained 2-3 lbs (which surprised me, I feel bigger). Blood pressure and vitals were good. Had all the routine things done (bloodwork, pap, etc). My favorite part, as always the first visit, was hearing the baby's heartbeat for the first time. There is just something so magical and miraculous about that to me. It's amazing to me that the baby can be barely over an inch long (from head to bottom) and yet technology allows us to hear that tiny heartbeat! I just smiled and smiled. Another plus, the midwive wrote me a prescription for Zophran to try and help with my nausea/vomitting issues. This Friday we're leaving for Hawaii and will be on three planes for a total of about 11-12hrs. We have a 3yr old and a 15mo old (who will be a lap baby). She said the Zophran would be better for the trip than Phenergan because it doesn't have the sedative effect. We'll see. I'm up for trying anything.

Speaking of Hawaii...that's the big prayer request of the week. In addition to the literal flight time, we'll have a 6hr time change. I'm pretty nervous about all that. We'll be gone for 11 days. My husband's brother-in-law is being ordained and my husband (a lay pastor) is part of the ceremony. We're excited about it. Fortunately, my mom is currently living with us so she'll be able to watch and take care of the house while we're gone. If I get any good pictures, I'll try to include some in one of my next few posts.

I guess that's it for now...

Until next time, take care,
Terra

No comments: