Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Diagnosis for the Dizziness!

"The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." James 5:16b Thank YOU all for your diligent prayer!

Friends and family, by God's GREAT grace, today I was finally given a diagnosis for my dizziness! After spending time at the Heuser Hearing Institute, the doctor said she was certain of problem. It's called Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo. You can read more about it here: http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/bppv/bppv.html. The short of it? It's very curable with treatment. While there is a 30% chance symptoms may occur, they can be retreated if they do. I cannot tell you how very good of news this is!

With treatment, I am going to ask a little assistance from those of you that may be available/willing. I will be scheduled for 3 seperate treatments. Sometimes, patients find relief after only 1...sometimes it's more than 3. So they plan on 3 and proceed as necessary. At the end of this email, I give the post-treatment instructions for those of you interested. Depending on when I'm able to schedule and when James has to work those weeks, I'm probably going to need some help around the house. I will have to wear a cervicle collar during awake time for 48hrs following the procedures. I will not be allowed to bend over, look up or down. You can imagine the challenge that will be with the kiddos. :) I may also need someone to take me to/from the 45min appointments downtown (near Sojourn) as I'm not supposed to drive home myself afterwards. If you live in town and you're both willing and available to help in any of these ways, could you let me know? I don't know the dates yet but I hope to schedule tomorrow or the next day so I'll know soon. I'm getting over a migraine now so I didn't take the time to schedule earlier.

It seems the good Lord is teaching me a giant lesson in patience and trust. Please join me in praying the treatments are effective and that I'll keep my hope in Christ - not my results.

Also, unrelated but prayer requests none the less.. pray for our sweet kiddos. They're sick yet again... It was incredibly hard for me to serve them well today with my intense migraine. But I'm married to one of the most wonderful men on the planet and he played Mr. Mom for me in every way he could. Benjamin is now in his helmet full time and is doing well overall. Hannah's ear surgery (tubes) went much better than anticipated.

We serve a great God! Thank you for walking alongside of us!

Take Care,
Terra

jamesandterra.blogspot.com

48hrs after treatment...
Do not tip your head up or down or bend at the waist. Pretend there is a book balanced on top of your head and do not let it fall off. Use of the cervical collar will help prevent you from tipping your chin down. Sides to side turns are OK.
Do not go to appointments that require you to lie down or tilt your head (barber, dentist, chiropractor).
When brushing your teeth, rinse your mouth with a cup to avoid bending over.
You may shower or wash your hair but avoid tipping your head up or down.
Avoid repetitive motions, such as weeding the garden, ironing or sweeping.

Sleeping: For the first 48 hours, sleep tilted back slightly at no more than a 45 degree angle. It is easiest to sleep in a recliner if available. Otherwise, use several pillows to prop yourself. It is a good idea to put pillows at your feet to avoid scooting down in the night. Do not rollover. On the third night, you may sleep flat but not on the treated side.

It is best to avoid sleeping on your treated side (right/left) for the remainder of the week.

Post-treatment symptoms:

Many people experience an immediate change in head or ear pressure. Most people experience total relief after the three day waiting period.
Headaches are common. Typically, a patient who experiences headaches with episodes will also experience headaches post treatment.
Patients sometimes feel different, but not better, following a maneuver. If symptoms persist the maneuver may need to be repeated or a different type of maneuver may be chosen. Be patient. Two to three procedures are typically required for those who do not respond to the first procedure.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Give me a call, girl. I'd love to come help after school if your appt's are during the week. Can I come by and put some food in your freezer?

Meaghan said...

Awesome news! I wish I could help out, but will be praying for you :)

Robin ~ tillx7 said...

Bless you sister! These treatments and the after instructions are tough. Be encouraged. I will PRAY for you.