Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Halloween, Homeschooling, and the Holidays

Wow, how the days keep flying. My mom once told me that time goes by so slowly as kids and the older you get, the faster and faster it goes. I need no further convincing!
Halloween was fun. Last minute, we changed Benjamin's costume. Someone gave my brother a dragon costume for his son for Halloween. Unfortunately, his son was with his mom on Halloween and had other plans. So.... since they are the same age, Benjamin wore it instead of the planned racecar driver outfit. He got SO many compliments. We went to our church's Trunk or Treat on the 30th and then Trick or Treating in our neighborhood on the 31st. The kids had a lot of fun. Well, Sophia wasn't a big fan of it all but the older two were. You can check out all the Halloween pictures, as well as other October pictures at this link.
As we get further along on our homeschooling journey, I've started to pick up some recommended books on the topic. I used to read all the time but since I've had children, I haven't really made the time. After picking up a book about one philosophy of homeschooling, I've started tearing through many more. I've rediscovered the fun of reading! I'm such a learner at heart and love to research (sometimes too much, I admit). If you're curious about the books I'm reading, you can check out the list here.
I'm getting excited about the holidays quickly approaching. I love Thanksgiving and it's focus on giving thanks and family. I've actually joined the Facebook habit of listing one thing I'm thankful for each day and it's been a blessing to even participate in! We're traveling this year (for the first time in 5 yrs!) to my sister's place. Then, soon after, will be my 30th birthday. Yup. I'm getting old. Ha! Then of course, my favorite holiday of all - Christmas! Hannah is super excited this year (and has been since JULY) because she actually remembers what all it entails. Now our work is helping her not to worship the THINGS that Christmas brings.
Until next time...
Take care,
Terra

No comments: