Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Week 36: False Labor Fun and a Stomach Bug

The last night of week 36 left me thinking I was in labor. Isn't this my third birth? Shouldn't I know the difference? No. Not when my body feels like it's in labor and then nothing happens apparently. I went to bed around 9:45ish to wake up just after midnight in the middle of a strong contraction. Didn't think too much about it as I've done that before. I went to the restroom and then went back to sleep. Soon after, I woke up with another contraction. Thinking it was probably a few hours later, I peeked at the clock and it was only about 20 minutes later. Odd. So I laid there, trying to go back to sleep. For about the next two hours, I lay there, mostly awake having contractions every 8-12 minutes. They weren't super painful but they weren't comfortable either. Eventually, I fell asleep and never woke with another contraction. The next night went perfectly smooth without waking one single time from a contraction.

This "false labor fun" happened several times when I was pregnant with Benjamin. There were at least three times that I can remember this happening. Once, James and I even went ahead and got up, got everything ready to go to the hospital only for the contractions to eventually stop. I was determined this time that I was not getting out of bed and getting ready for anything if this was not the real thing. So that part was good even though I lost a few hours sleep. Even the day I had Benjamin, after having contractions all night long, my labor stalled after arriving at the hospital. I was sent 'home' after a few hours of no progress - only to come back two hours later in great pain and 7 1/2 cm dilated! I have a feeling this labor may be another crazy one at the rate I'm going.

The hip/pelvic pain is still pretty intense most days. I'm walking with lots of waddles simply to try and move the pain off the areas where it is strongest. My abs have started hurting also. Not sure if that's from the funny way I'm walking or just the extra weight pulling on them. Then there is always the back pain of course. :) But truly, I'm grateful for this little life I'm carrying in my belly. I'm just ready to be carrying her in my arms instead.

My baby shower was amazing. I have some wonderful friends who really made me feel special and blessed. They prayed over me and the family. They each shared ways that I have encouraged, loved on, or helped them know Christ better. In a weird way, I felt like I was hearing people speak at my own funeral. It was so sweet and thoughtful. I was in tears before the first person finished speaking. Thank you to Cindy and Jessie for hosting/food, Kristyn and Heidi for planning/leading, and my mom for the little giveaways. Thanks to all the sweet friends that joined us and blessed me with kind words alongside of great gifts. And a huge thanks to my sister for watching my sick child....

Which leads me to the last tidbit about the week. Remember that stomach bug Benjamin had? Well, it finally made it's rounds. Last Thursday night I was sick all night and felt horrible the next day. Friday night James had a few issues (though not many) and Hannah woke up vomiting. All day Saturday, my sweet Hannah was sick and miserable. My sister volunteered to stay home with her (as well as Benjamin and her two kids) so I didn't have to cancel the shower. I had a babysitter lined up but didn't want to get her sick too. My sis was staying with us (she lives 3hrs away) so she'd already been exposed either way. I was bummed that she drove all the way up here, to stay home and babysit my kids. Then she left with one of her kids with the stomach bug. By God's grace, he was the only one that got it and it was short lived. So a HUGE thanks to my sister for all her help with everything. Needless to say, it was a yucky weekend in this house!

Take Care,
Terra

No comments: