Monday, September 6, 2010

Week 17: Heart Problems

And now the real fun begins! Remember the comments in my last post about chest pain and such? Well, I went to the doctor upon some friends' encouragements and lo and behold, I'm not imagining things. After an EKG and some other fun tests, he said he's pretty sure I have something called Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia and thinks it was brought on by the pregnancy. He said it could possibly be from the increased blood volume. He told me it was going to be more aggravating and wearisome than dangerous. The longer my heart rate stays elevated, the more tired I'll be. It stays over 100 pretty much every day with spurts much higher than that for no apparent reason. For now, my only instructions are to increase my water intake, call if things get worse and wait for my appointment with the cardiologist in about a week and a half. Even being told there's no reason to worry, it's a bit hard not too when my chest hurts pretty much all day and I can't slow my heart down. I feel like I've been on a treadmill for 30 minutes when I've done absolutely nothing. So there's how you can pray for me.

Sleep is going a bit better. Still waking up but not as often. Heartburn about the same. I'm doing a better job of watching my intake though so that's helpful.

I've felt the baby a tad bit more this week. That's really good since I haven't been feeling well. I do worry that after switching to a midwife, I'll still end up having to go to the OB now that I've got a 'heart issue.' (And may I clarify - I'm not anti-OB, I just switched offices specifically to have these particular midwives, that's all). :) My cardiologist appointment is before my next midwife visit so at least I'll have something a little more concrete. At that point, I guess I'll find out if I'm considered high risk.

So all this sounds so negative and I guess on the health side, it is. However, the week itself was not bad. We had a weekend of gorgeous weather here in Louisville. In one day I went shopping with my mom and the kids, went on a picnic and to the park, flew a kite with my daughter and painted finger and toenails with her. Sunday we went to church as a family, ate a great lunch at Qdoba (my favorite place!), took a nice, long, breeze-filled afternoon nap and rested in the evening. It was a great weekend! This coming week, my husband and I celebrate our 4th wedding anniversary so that's exciting! Even in the midst of uncertainty and heartache (literally, hehe), God has been good in bringing me joy.

Until next time...
Terra

3 comments:

Mandy said...

I will definitely be praying for you. On a MUCH smaller scale, caffeine does the same thing to me and it's still unnerving. I can't imagine how you must feel all the time.

Perhaps you can see a midwife in conjunction with an OB? Honestly, if this doesn't put the baby at risk, I have no idea why you would even need to see an OB (rather than a midwife) at all. My midwives have always been very thorough regarding my health. Maybe I'm wrong. Heather Lewis would be a great resource.

Take care and I am praying for you!

Bigmammy said...

I have mild mvp with tachycardia and pvc's..They told me the same thing..it is usually hamless...but I hear ya...when your chest hurts it does not seem harmless :) I am praying for you. Will you be home Halloween. No plans yet...just curious

Bigmammy said...

Love ya girl! Hang in there