Thursday, April 23, 2009

Week 38: Nearing the End?

That's the question... AM I nearing the end of this pregnancy? I just got home from my weekly OB visit and it was a semi-exciting one. First, I've gained the weight back that I lost last week so that was good. My BP was great (100/71). As I write this, I'm 38 weeks, 4 days pregnant. You may recall that last week, nothing had changed with my progress. I've continued to have tons of contractions this week, thinking labor was near on several occasions, only to then have nothing happen. Well, apparently the contractions are actually doing something again. Today she said I was almost 3 cm dilated, 60% effaced and at a -1 station. Definitely more exciting news than last week. I know this still doesn't mean labor is necessarily right around the corner... but it does excite me that the contractions are actually doing something! She mentioned the possibility of stripping my membranes, if I was interested. I've heard that it was painful and she said it was uncomfortable but not much different than the exam itself. I then asked her what would be the chance that it would cause my water to break sooner than later as a result. She said it would probably increase it. I told her I was hoping to keep my water as long as possible as I remember how much stronger the contractions got with Hannah once it broke. She totally understood and said in that case, she wouldn't recommend the membrane stripping. Glad that was an easy decision. If this baby doesn't come in the next week... I may reconsider... we'll see.

Another thing that was encouraging was that Benjamin was still head down. In the past week, he's been moving around like crazy and I was a bit anxious that he may no longer be head down. She estimated (by feel) that he was probably right around 6 lbs, give or take.

We finished off a semi-busy week this week and now there is very little scheduled for the next several. I'm very excited about that. I got to visit my friend Sarah in the hospital yesterday after she delivered little Maggie. I'll officially be the last of the 4 of us girls to have her baby. Oh well! ;)

Well, I know this was kind of short compared to usual but Hannah is down for a nap and I'm going to try to sneak one in as well. Please continue to pray for us!

Take care...
Terra

3 comments:

Bigmammy said...

I had my membranes stripped with Maddox..all it did was make me uncomfortable with contractions for the day and all night, but did NOT send me in to labor..... I say you made a good decision.

Leigh said...

Yay!! Glad to hear the good news! How exciting!! I can't wait to meet him!!

I hope you hang in there and don't become too impatient feeling... with it not happening yet.
And 6lbs.. that's good! Was Hannah smaller?

Bigmammy said...

I forgot to say, woohoo to the 6 pounders.... Much easier than the big ones...believe me!!!